Light Up Leominster
Light Up Leominster Event
Wednesday 22 and Thursday 23 November 2023
Leominster’s Cultural Consortium is planning an early evening event trail round the centre of Leominster, using lights, soundscapes and projections to show off our lovely town and encourage people to look at Leominster with fresh eyes.
The event will be free to attend, family-friendly, and will include lantern parades, performances and music through town as part of the festivities. A full programme will be announced nearer the time, but we are excited about what is coming!
The projections will be designed and installed by Andy McKeown, a new media light and sound artist, animator and programmer. McKeown’s art practice is predominately based on interactive and reactive new-media light and sound, and large scale street collections.
Works range from intricate multi projector interior installations to large scale outdoor distributed sound field installations, Son et Lumière and temporary urban light and sound works, and has created projected light and sound works throughout the UK with excursions into Europe, USA, Australia.
Past projects include temporary and permanent lightworks for Blackpool Illuminations, York Minster Cathedral, Nottingham Castle, Ludlow Castle, Liverpool Metropolitan and Liverpool Anglican Cathedrals, Shrewsbury Abbey, Snibston Mining Museum and Saltwell Park, along with large scale light shows shown in the USA, Luxembourg, and Australia, and screen works shown in Istanbul 2007 and Seoul 2008.
He has a passion for things that move and make a noise, liquid oils, kaleidoscopes, stained glass, cathedrals, derelict and left field spaces, written and spoken word, machine noise, industrial, Futurist and avant-garde music, and can currently be found creating chaos with old tape machines and analogue synthesizers.
You can see more of Andy's work here:
The intended route for Leominster is around Corn Square, Corn Street, High Street, Drapers Lane, Church Street and the Grange. You can arrive and depart at any point in the trail, although there will be certain times when particular activities are happening.
We want the whole community to get involved, so we invite you to:
- Join in by dressing your window/outfit around the theme ‘bringing light to the darkness’ - Every string of fairy lights will add to the event!
- Be part of an Evening Shopping event on Thursday evening, either as a business or a shopper supporting our local independent traders in the run up to Christmas
- Make your own lantern and join in with our parades on Wednesday and Thursday evening - there are lots of great videos online about how to make lanterns, like this one for example.
- Join us as a volunteer steward and help keep the event safe: just email email@example.com to register your interest.
- Make a 10 second film that will be part of the show! All you need to do is film something and email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org for it to be included. (Please note, films will be checked before being included, so family-friendly content only please!).
Keep your eye on social media and this page for more updates. We can't wait to see you there!